Answer by Kris Rosvold:
TL;DR A qualified Yes.
Here's the purpose of the Second Amendment:
It is "just" one more place that the framers of Our Constitution, carefully, and intentionally, left the Power to control and strictly limit government authority, in OUR (as in We The People) hands for all of history to see.
They had LIVED under a despot, and wanted to INSURE FOR ALL OF THEIR FUTURE GENERATIONS that any US government was ALWAYS subservient to the the highest Good of the Citizens. Here's how they attempted to do that:
They wrote Our Constitution in what was, at the time, PLAIN ENGLISH so that there couldn't be "convenient interpretations" of the foundation for our Laws.
They STRICTLY limited or banned many of the most henious government behaviors in very direct and specific common language.
They set up a government subject to the Rule of Law.
They gave US the TOOLS to enforce that Law.
Here are some of those Tools, and Restrictions rendered in today's plain English:
1) Congress may not ever use Law to Speak about any organization of religion. They may not support it. They may not restrict individual practice of it.
Congress may not ever restrict freedom of speech. Congress may not ever restrict the freedom of the press, or the Right of Citizens to gather peacefully and demand corrections of government actions which they consider to be wrong.
2) Because a well supplied Citizenry is necessary to the security of a free state, Congress may not ever limit the Rights of Citizens to keep and carry Arms.
3) In times of peace (absent an active Declaration of War BY CONGRESS) Soildiers shall not be housed in homes without the consent of the Owner. This shall also not be done in War, except as prescribed by civil Law.
4) People, their homes, papers, and possessions shall never be searched unreasonably. A reasonable search is based upon probable cause, and is supported by a Warrant, which is supported by an Oath or Affirmation. The Warrant shall specifically call out what, and where the search is conducted, AND shall call out what or who is being searched for.
5) NO PERSON SHALL EVER be arrested for a serious crime without an indictment from a Grand Jury. The sole exception to this is in a time of War or public danger, IF the person is an active member of the armed forces. No person may EVER be tried for the same crime more than one time. No person may ever be required to testify against themselves. No person may ever be deprived of life, liberty, or property without the due process of law (this means that "plea bargains" are strictly forbidden… no matter that they're convenient for busy judges and DAs). NO private property may be taken from people, for public use, without fair compensation.
6) In ALL criminal prosecutions the accused shall have the following Rights:
A speedy public trial, by an impartial jury, where the crime was committed. The district shall be established prior to the crime. (No making up "special" districts)
The Right to know, specifically, what the charges are, and what the basis for those charges are.
The Right to confront any and all accusers and witnesses.
The Right to confront and challenge those accusers and witnesses.
The Right to have those accusers and witnesses compelled to be present and get challenged.
The Right to have help from an attorney in defending themselves.
7) In lawsuits under common law, if the value in controversy is over $20.00, the Right to a trial by jury shall be protected.
No Fact tried by a jury shall be re-examined except by an Appeals Court.
8) Excessive bail (that which is beyond the legitimate need to prevent flight from prosecution) is strictly prohibited.
Excessive fines shall not be imposed.
Cruel and unusual punishments shall not be used.
Now for the Ace in the Hole!
9) That we call out specific Rights here shall not be used to deny or disparage any Rights that the people assert.
10) If we didn't specifically say that the Federal government can do a thing, then it is RESERVED to the States and/or the People (in that order).
Add to these tools:
The mandate that ALL taxation of individuals incomes by by apportionment amongst the States. (The Power of the Purse)
The mandate that ALL changes to the basic Law of the Constitution be done ONLY with the approval of the Citizens via the Amendment and Ratification Process.
The mandate that We the People approve ALL treaties through Our Representatives.
The MANDATE that ONLY Congress may declare war (and thus mobilize troops and arms).
Seems pretty air tight to me, now all We need to do is drag Our bribed government back to these Legitimate Laws… kicking and screaming bloody murder if necessary.
Here's the "qualified" bit I mentioned at the start:
Bottom line: Either Our government SERVES THE PEOPLE who ordained and authorize it, or it has no valid function at all! PERIOD!